Home cleaning may sound simple and easy, until you realize that you don’t know what cleaning tools and agents are necessary. We’ve put together a list of the most essential cleaning tools and agents that we believe no home should be without.
A typical home in the Philippines would most likely have these tools and agents, but nothing is better than being fully equipped and prepared before starting your general home cleaning!
CLEANING TOOLS AND EQUIPMENTS:
Broom and dustpan or a Vacuum cleaner
- If your house has any hard surfaces like wood, tile, linoleum and cork, you’ll need the proper tool to get them clean. Most people can get along with a broom and dustpan. It doesn’t require any batteries or power and at the same time, it gets the work done and we can use it for a long time. However, if you have some extra budget, you can opt for a vacuum cleaner. It totally makes home cleaning easier. Aside from getting dirt around the floor, it also filters the air. This is very beneficial especially today, because we spend most of our time at home due to the pandemic and lockdowns.
- Using a mop is the best option if you want to keep your flooring looking shiny and clean. It is specifically designed to wipe out spills, either soft or hard stains, color or transparent, and any size and type of stain. Mopping a floor can be more effective with the right or proper cleaning product. But if you want to use a natural cleanser, try mixing lemon, vinegar and warm water. Additional tip is to use rotary mops for faster mop rinsing and wringing. Just make sure to keep it dry when stored, so rust doesn’t get stuck up!
Bucket or basin
- This one is essential for sure! A nice sized bucket can be used for mopping, for storing water and a variety of other household tasks. It can also be used as a storage for your cleaning supplies. Other than cleaning, it is also a good tool to water plants in your garden.
Washcloths and microfiber cloths
- You can always find packs of these just about anywhere, even at the hardware store. They can be easily bleached and disinfected without getting ruined. If you don’t have the time to buy them, a good alternative is to cut up old t-shirts. Moreover, getting a few microfiber cloths can totally boost your cleaning power. They are great for windows or any glass surface because it doesn’t scratch or leave streaks behind.
Sponge and scrub brush
- One of the basic tools for cleaning that must be present in your house is a sponge. It comes in different sizes, shapes and thickness. You can utilize this tool to clean appliances that are waterproof, windows, mirrors and other glass made materials. Its abrasive side can be used to tackle any grimy dirty surface. A sponge isn’t always going to work, so keep an all-purpose scrub brush to use on tiles, tubs and tough stains. It is a multi purpose cleaning tool that is a must to see in a house.
- Multipurpose cleaners – Lysol, Ajax, Mr. Muscle, Zim Cleanser, Domex
- (You can also try our very own multipurpose cleaner! Check it out here: https://shp.ee/dhjmnfh )
- Bleach – Clorox
- Dishwashing liquid – Joy, Axion, Smart
- Alcohol – Isopropyl alcohol, Ethyl alcohol
Each of the cleaning products have instructions written at the back of their container. It is best if you just follow the intended use and dilution of each cleaning product so you can clean efficiently! Some of the most common instructions are:
- Bleach (Clorox) – 1 cup (250 mL or 16 tablespoon) + 5 liters of water
- Lysol Multi-action cleaner – 3 capfuls (60 mL or 4 tablespoon) + 1 liter of water
- Mr Muscle Multi Purpose cleaner – ½ cap (120 mL or 8 tablespoon) + 5 liters of water
- Ajax Multi Purpose cleaner – 2.5 capfuls + 900 mL of water
- Domex Multi Purpose cleaner – 1 cap + 1 liter of water
Other cleaning tips when using commercial cleaning products:
- Most commercial cleaning products contain bleach (Sodium Hypochlorite). DO NOT mix with other cleaning products or mix with hot water.
- When using a new product on a colored surface, try it out on a small portion of the surface first before going through the cleaning. Discontinue use if signs of fading occur.
- Always keep the work area ventilated when cleaning!
There are many tools and agents used for cleaning and washing. Items listed above are the usual and basic things every homeowner should have. If you don’t have the time and energy to clean your house all by yourself, you can always contact Cleaning Lady to clean for you! Simply go to our website and book an appointment right away. Let us clean for you.